Is Switzerland on your travel itinerary this year?
Known for the majestic Alps, sparkling glaciers, chocolates and bank accounts; there is a long list of attractions to be covered in this country.
The top choices and the most frequently traveled places in Switzerland are Lucerne, Interlaken, Zurich and Geneva.
Because there is always more to be traveled in less number of days, a majority of travelers visiting this country skip one of the most beautiful, quaint and romantic villages of Switzerland- Zermatt.
Zermatt is a swiss chalet beneath the world’s most photographed and majestic mountain: Matterhorn.
Sun-kissed wooden chalets, luxurious boutique hotels and gastronomic delights dominate the place.
Situated right on the Italian border and in the south of Switzerland, you feel a sense of awe being created as you approach this historic swiss village.
How to Reach Zermatt
To experience the bliss of a town that seems to have come straight out of a fairytale, it demands planning and execution of the same level.
Easily accessible from all the major towns, there are comfortable travel options to make it to this fairytale cobbled village.
A 2-hour train ride whisked us from Milan to Brig from where we boarded an approximately 1.5-hour train to Zermatt.
If you’re driving, you can park your car at Tasch village and take a train up to Zermatt as it is a car-free village.
Amidst the journey, you see a lot of eyes sparkling with anticipation, couples gazing wistfully out of the window and almost everyone reflecting a distinctive charm on his face.
Essential Things to Do
- A stroll up and down the famous street Bahnhofstrasse amid high-end fashion houses and horse-drawn carriages.
- Take a 25-minute ride to Gornergrat summit and treat your eyes with majestic and unbelievable views of the Matterhorn. There are a number of stations in between and you may take a stop at any of these in case heights scare you!
- Besides being a skier’s paradise, there are abundant outdoor activities this place has to offer like trail hiking, biking, paragliding, mountain climbing and even a helicopter tour of the Matterhorn.
- Visit Hinterdof to explore historic wooden houses.
- Indulge yourself in exploring the famous and charming chocolates at the starry heavens chocolateries on the streets in this village.
- Experience an exquisite alpine lunch on-mountain or in the village at a sun-drenched fancy or one of the 4 Michelin star restaurants.
- Tickle your taste buds by experiencing an amazing culinary experience on a gondola ride departing Tuesday and Thursday evenings taking you to mid-mountain delicious eateries.
- There is a lot to uplift your mood! Experience live music from a raft of professional musicians who travel from far-off locations.
- For a refined evening experience, head to one of those cocktail or smoking lounges dotted around the village for a memorable night out experience.
Give your adrenaline a rush by skiing cross-border to Italy!
All you need to do is get an international access while making a purchase for the lift ticket.
Where We Stayed:
We stayed at Alpenblick Studio Apartments. The place offered us the most comfortable stay with an amazing view of the river. Well equipped kitchenette and terrific staff! We couldn’t think of a more pleasant stay priced at reasonable rates.